NYGA\B

New York Guys Around With Braces

Thursday, October 18, 2007

Mark Douglas-Kenner, NYGA\B, RIP

It is without shame that we ream the world for our expanding loss. If you don’t know, now you know that a budding Junior Member of the NYGA\B is fucking dead as the dump. We are a men’s club, not a huggybunch sipping circle. Our young friend has changed to dead and the clubhouse door is nailed shut.

Some book about leadership made the decision for me to demand Juniors, Seniors, and backstabbing pantywaist imposter-kings to share feelings in the strange days of death talk. My mouth is a dead place, but those little contributors don’t have to answer to Mark’s mother. Her insistence bound me to her, and to the somber promises beyond decoration.

The repellant human changes. Douglas-Kenner, I remember your face. Your colleagues share their words and works.

Your Leader,
Doctor Eight

“I can’t. We started this thing together and said that we would make it. Mark, I love you. I’ll do your work in honor of the promises we made. This isn’t the end, it’s a beginning.”
-Ogden

“Your supervision was my joy, young man. I’m talking to you and you’re dead, so this is for me but also those other young men. Don’t waver. Doctor Eight stands for that. Mark Douglas-Kenner, you have different meanings. I won’t interrogate you now. It’s too late. Way too late.”
-Stephen.

“I could have gone easier on you Mark. You should have told us. Damn it, you should have told me! Goodbye, you sweet kid.”
-Peter

“Those boys came around here for a cut. I never knew their names or whatever, but they opened doors, and we saw them around the neighborhood. Nice boys. It’s a shame.”
-Vincent, Park Slope Barber

“Mark brought me treats. A quiet boy, it's just horrible.”
- Marion J. Thurber, Neighborhood Resident

Let it be known that when former member and co-founder S.T.A.L.L.I.O.N. was contacted through Stephen, his ice-cold response was the following obituary, likely cut and pasted from the internet. Not a personal word. His resistance is of some interest to me. -D.E.

Mark Douglas-Kenner b.11.6.72 d.10.14.07
Neophyte Prospect NYGA\B, died Sunday in his Bronx apartment while making a routine oven thermostat check. An investigation conducted by FDNY inspectors and NYGA\B Senior Staff has ruled out any foul play. Cause of death recorded: asphyxiation.

Enthusiasma: Walking, HVAC, Small Appliance Repair, Rabbits.
Survived by three prize winning Langerhans Rabbits.
Memorial Services to be commenced on Sunday 10.21.07 at Blossom Rec Ctr and Banquet Hall, 5050 Gun Hill Rd. Bronx. at 1PM.

14 Comments:

  • At October 18, 2007 at 5:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    In my thirty three years here at this station I've learned a few things, among them–let fools preserve their fictions. We sometimes see more than just the facts here at Eyewitness Newschannel Twelve.

    s.t.a.l.l.i.o.n.

     
  • At October 18, 2007 at 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please show some respect! I knew Mark (Emory, Class of '94) and head about the s.t.a.l.l.i.o.n. friction. He tried to stay out of the political BS and just fit in. Is that a crime? I don't know, it's been a while since I, well, saw Mark, and as always he thought of everyone else first. I hope that after this horrible tragedy we can maintain a modicum of decency, and maybe remember that life is really short. You only get one shot guys.

    Thanks,
    Ron Bogotian

     
  • At October 18, 2007 at 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    For great **low** rates on summer properties, visit http://www.rowden.com

    Don't let your dreams **faall-==// by the wayside.

    We're waiting. Pleace your bets while the fed loses steam....

     
  • At October 18, 2007 at 9:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jesus. Fuck those guys. Mark was a stand up guy - the kind of guy that you knew always had your back. Before he joined he had a girlfriend. He dropped her quickly, and devoted himself to helping people. What more can you say? Thank you for giving me an opportunity to say my thing, Stephen. Thank you Doctor Eight.

    Greg
    Junior, NYGA\B

     
  • At October 19, 2007 at 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know how else to say this, and it feels so strange to discuss something like this in an internet chat room for men, but out with it already, right? Mark and I dated for three months in the early days of his involvement with Tim Cuthbert and NYGA\B. I tried to convince him that he was in over his head-that masking his sexuality through "good deeds" was a thinly veiled cry for help. I think he was busy fixing the rheostat on my George Foreman Kitchen Grill. Did he listen? Did he hear?

    I'm only saying this in the hope that others will come forward and bear witness in a time of grief and loss. A good "airing of the linens" is in order here.

    credit where it's due, stallion.

    Seth Marshall
    Stylist

     
  • At October 19, 2007 at 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At October 19, 2007 at 10:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Anonymous said...
    Please direct all donations, well-wishes for the Douglas-Kenner family, and perishable foodstuffs to NYGA\B, P.O. Box 990 (Seifert Station), Brooklyn, NY, 11217.

    Absolutely anything is welcome and will be redistributed to Mark's family and the area needy.

    Sincerely,
    Milt Renard
    Funeral Director
    Bayside Funeral Home

     
  • At October 19, 2007 at 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I want to express sincere gratitude and blessings for everyone's stories and well-wishes during this unfathomable time. From the bottom of our hearts we ask the community to continue sharing and keeping our first "light," Mark alive.

    We'll always love you Markie. We know you're watching. Send us a sign.

    Love,
    Mom, Dad, Christian, and Bizness

     
  • At October 19, 2007 at 11:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I didn't know Mark that well, but we shared a shift or two each week at Hale and Hearty Soups on Court Street. I will say that Mark always had a smile on his face, and I feel stupid saying this, but seemed to really connect with the customer. People genuinely liked him. I know, it's not like we were doing this big job or anything, but for what it's worth he brought a smile to more faces than just mine. My condolences to his family and friends.

    Sincerely,
    Skip Smith

     
  • At October 19, 2007 at 11:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At October 19, 2007 at 12:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ¡NYGA\Please!

    haven't you had enough of this "take your shoes off," "Blessings to My minions," "Breakfast at 5:30," "party line" water toting?

    Stephen, have you kissed the ring today?

    The last time I saw Mark he had bruises on his legs. Somebody have an answer for that one? Milt?

    Tim C.

     
  • At October 19, 2007 at 12:31 PM, Blogger Doctor Eight said…

    In the interest of Mark's family, friends, eternal memory, and on behalf of Doctor Eight, I'd like to point out that any memorial posts by "Tim C." are really plebe attempts at undermining Mark's great place in the NYGA\B by S.T.A.L.L.I.O.N. It would seem that no moment is too grave for that disgraced man-child to pollute our reserves.

    We feel that it is also important to note that NYGA\B does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, or sexual preference. We limit our membership requirements to gender and rigorous moral standards.

    Needless to say, Mark met our requirements in spades. Those that might defame or denigrate his name ought to fall back into the same venal heap from whence they came. Stick to your friendster page and advertise your cheap creaky saloon back-door somewhere else.

    Honor,
    Stephen
    (Approved by D.E.)

     
  • At October 23, 2007 at 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Every rose has its thorn.

    Mark was my partner, my friend, and my fiercest competitor. Those brilliant early morning runs through the Prospect Park dew. So many meals, so many moons.

    I promised myself I wouldn't eulogize you, but your impossible spit-fire beauty blew holes in the night. I promised you the world and gave it in miniature.

    You always saw me. Beyond and between the veil you saw me and made me feel...whole. Filled.

    We can move on, but why try? With broken hearts and hope denied why even try?

    Because you would have willed it so with a smirk. A gentle childish turn of the lip.

    I won't ever love the way we loved again.

    Love Always,
    S

     
  • At October 24, 2007 at 12:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Life is a song and Mark sang a gorgeous aria and exited stage left at the top of his career.

    I remember so many shows that we poured our love into at Emory. Mark, remember Seagull? You were the sternest but most vulnerable Dorn I've ever seen. My god you were talented.

    Rest in blessed peace, prince.

    Your friend and first collaborator,
    Rick Tortian

     

Post a Comment

<< Home